Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Oops


While we were carving ice this weekend one of the chisels slipped at the same unfortunate moment that someone else’s knee slipped.  The cut wasn’t serious.  I got the call and ran back from my meeting with a parent to find the crew continuing on their carving as if nothing had happened.  They had found the first aid supplies, cleaned and bandaged the cut, and moved on to the important work of finishing their sculpture.  When I asked why they had called they reminded me that standing orders were to call me if anybody gets hurt.  They didn’t need me.  They just needed me to be in the loop.
Every experiential education program teaches their students first aid.  Once our kids are trained, and fully understand the limits of that training, they need the opportunity to actually use that training.  I couldn’t be prouder of the crew of Station Maine.  The knee will be just fine.  The strength of character learned from the incident has grown even stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment