Thursday, March 8, 2012

One Size Education


A colleague mentioned to me the other day his frustration in teaching kids advanced math, a skill which the system requires, but which teaches them so little about life.  I am reminded of my own high school math classes and of the hours of frustration.  I have never found a use for math beyond balancing my checkbook and purchasing wood to build my home.
I was once tempted to stop the story there and leave a silent self righteousness behind.  But one of my young rowers is exceedingly good at math.  He thrills to solving difficult equations.  Yet he runs screaming from the room should I happen to even begin to recite one of the dozens of poems that I have memorized since childhood.  These poems have been solace to me for decades.  How can anyone distain them as I distained math?
I wonder how long it will take the school system, worldwide, to figure out that one size doesn’t fit all.

No comments:

Post a Comment