Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Gel Coat

I laid gel coat today.  It's the final coat on fiberglass, a colored epoxy that seals everything.  It shows up every single mistake.  Every slight tilt of the grinder, every stray drop of resin are all painfully obvious on the bottom of this boat.

I figure I had two choices.  I could grind and sand and paint and work the fiberglass as best I could in hopes of getting a servicable boat.  Or I could do nothing and have no hope.  Raising money to hire "experts" finish the boat just isn't an option for a mediocre hull.

Norumbega will never be a silk purse.  But she will float, she will row straight, she will sail adequately and she will make it possible for hundreds of kids to go to water.  She will double the capacity of Station Maine.  I'm proud of the job I did on that hull.

No comments:

Post a Comment