Saturday, September 26, 2020

 Station Maine went rowing this week.  I'm proud of us for that.  In the midst of a global pandemic it is very, very difficult for youth organizations to go forward.  When I ask myself the difference between Station Maine and all the other youth programs who are unable to function I come back to the nature of the program and the honor code that surrounds it.  We are a water born, outdoor program.  We have the advantage of fresh air, open ocean, and fresh ocean breezes.  But there's more.  I trust my crew of young people.  The mandate is to wear masks, on and off the water.  Nobody likes the masks, but nobody would consider disobeying that order.  We have Watch Captains in place who will enforce it in my absence, not because they want brownie points, but because it is right.  Like wearing life jackets.  Like showing lights half an hour before sunset.

Being on an open boat carries with it risk.  Real, genuine, physical risk.  This is part of its appeal.  But in order to embrace risk our rowers must embrace discipline.  Command must be obeyed if the boat is to function.  This discipline flows easily into masks.  They are just another piece of the program that keeps us safe.  Leadership and followership flow hand in hand.  We grow as a crew, as friends, and as a community.

So, forgive me if I'm proud, but Station Maine is carrying on as safely as our program can be made.  We have attracted a crew of young people who embrace discipline as part of life.  I have no doubt that, because of this, their lives will be extraordinary.



No comments:

Post a Comment