Thursday, January 26, 2012

A New Outlook

Most of us believe at some level that kids need to know the things that we ourselves have found worthy in our own education.  My fondest memory of seventh grade English, actually my only fond memory of seventh grade, is memorizing poetry.  We were required to memorize a verse every week of a chosen poem, all of which I can still recite and all of which have made my life richer.  Yet can I in good conscience impose that education on today’s youth?

We need to think past our own prejudices and put ourselves back in the technological world, the "real world" where these kids live.  In this world every fact, and every great poem, is a Google search away.  Let's get to the core of "doing" things through which they can discover a few passions of their own rather than force on them the education that we may or may not have found worthy in our day, but which is, sadly, the education of another time.


No comments:

Post a Comment