Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Sailing

I went sailing with friends today.  Nothing amazing.  Hoist up a sail and move with it.  I can't remember the last time I was so relaxed and so happy.  I thought, as I often do, of my kids.  How much I'd love for each of them to have a hobby that would get them outside in the beautiful Maine summer.  How much I want them to run and swim and row and sail and hike.  To take the time to watch the seals and the sea birds.  To hear the stories of this amazing coast of Maine that is their home.

Programs are a wonderful thing, but ultimately it is the parents and the children who need to decide their summer education.  If kids are not encouraged to get out and find their amusement then the advertisers will certainly find something to sell them.  Facebook.  Computer games.  Television.  I do not damn these things.  I just need our children to live in the physical world.  I need them to learn from their experience.  To feel the wind and taste the wild strawberries.  To smell the sea.  These experiences are their heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment