Thursday, June 7, 2012

Summer

As a child I had the privilege of spending my summers on an island in Maine.  I specifically remember how important it was to me to be responsible for my own education.  Really.  I knew even then that the things I observed on the rocks, on the beach, in the tide, were important.  As I look back I realize that the skill of observing was equally important.  I learned this just through having the time to do it.  There was no television on the island.  Just time.

I truly hope that our kids have the time this summer just to be.  I hope there is nothing worthy on television and that they are not so backed up with camps and obligations.  I hope that they have time to just lay on the lawn, walk in the woods, and just observe.  They will learn so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment