Sunday, June 17, 2012

Training for Work

I am told that there are those in our government who think it necessary to channel potential blue collar workers into trade schools early in their career.  There is a sense that they will stay there forever as America's working class, bravely assembling automobiles in Detroit or electronics in Massachusetts or even crafting fine boats in Maine, and that will be them, happy in content forever.

Whatever reasons our government has for teaching these skills, this is still America.  Nobody is trapped in their trade for the rest of their life.  Anyone who keeps their mind open will learn more, advance themselves further, and ultimately live a fulfilling life.  I am a musician, a teacher, a sailor, a rigger, a woodworker of sorts, a mechanic at some level.  I have made my living in all these trades.  But ultimately I am a happy and fulfilled person because of these skills.  Ultimately I am who I am because of the choices I've made in my life.  If the schools could teach that, that you are responsible for the choices you make in your life, but adding more skills can only widen your choices, I think we will have come a long way in training our children to take their place in society.

No comments:

Post a Comment